Happy Dyngus Day! Here’s The History & Places To Celebrate
Today is Easter Monday and it’s officially the best day to be an American of Polish descent. In cities all around the U.S., including Cleveland, Dyngus Day celebrations are being held. Dyngus is a post-Easter tradition that unites Polish Americans and enables them to celebrate their heritage. Originally, Dyngus was created in order to rejoice at the completion of the restrictive practices required of Lent as well as the hope that the spring season brings.
Dyngus traces its roots back to 966 A.D. when Prince Mieszko I, who introduced Christianity to Poland, was baptized. Centuries later, his baptism was commemorated through a unique tradition in which boys sprinkled girls with water and tapped them with a pussy willow branch on Easter Monday. The following Tuesday, girls were expected to perform the same action to the boys. (In fact, legend has it that this tradition helps men and women find their true love.) Dyngus Day celebrations in the U.S. began in Buffalo, NY in the 1960s.
Interested in celebrating Dyngus Day? Here’s a few locations to celebrate the day.
- Redd Stone: 2-4pm
- The Parkview: 6-8pm
- The Happy Dog: 9-11pm
More on New102.com
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett To Release Jazz Duets Album ‘Cheek to Cheek’ This Fall
- Festival Cancels R. Kelly’s Headlining Appearance After Community Backlash
- Lea Michele of ‘Glee’ Fame Joining ‘Sons of Anarchy’ as a Guest Star
- Hunger Games “Mockingjay” Trailer: No Spoilers, Yes Philip Seymour Hoffman, Yes Katniss
- Question Of The Day: What Motivates Women To Lose Weight?
- Things To Know This Morning: LeBron Homecoming Sold Out, Brunswick Sirens Back On,
- Tom Petty Slams EDM Culture and Electric Daisy Carnival: ‘Watch People Play Records? That’s Stupid’
- You Could Win $10,000 By Playing The New 102 Birthday Game Brought To You By Shinto Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
- Tim On The Town: See The Behind The Scenes Photos From Tim Richards’ Wild Ride At Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
- PHOTOS: Desiray Helps Her Son Tommy Celebrate His Birthday!