Leftover Easter Candy Recipes
April 2, 2013 6:19 AM
- PEEPS SUNFLOWER CAKE 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting 19 yellow chick Peeps candies 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-inch-round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; carefully remove waxed paper. When layers are completely cool, spread frosting between them and over the top and sides of cake. Without separating Peeps and curving them slightly to fit, arrange chicks around edge of cake as sunflower petals. For sunflower seeds, arrange chocolate chips in center of cake. Serves: 12 Source: “Bakeshop Favorites” (Taste of Home, $17.95)
- JELLY BEAN MARTINI Heaping 1/4 cup single flavor of jelly beans 1 cup vodka Þ cup granulated sugar 1 drop food coloring Chambord Peeps (for garnish) In a glass jar, add the jelly beans and vodka. Cover and shake the jar vigorously and set aside. Keep shaking the jelly bean/vodka jar every few hours. Let sit overnight. Using a funnel and dampened coffee filter, filter the infused vodka into a new jar. Place strained vodka into the refrigerator to chill. Pour sugar into a zip-top bag and add 1 drop of food coloring. Seal the top of the bag and shake to make colored sugar. To make the martini: Dip the rim of a cocktail glass in water, then in the colored sugar. Place 1 part of the jelly bean vodka and 1/2 part Chambord in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into the rimmed glass. Garnish with a Peep. Makes: Enough for 4 to 6 martinis. Source: My Man’s Belly blog (mymansbelly.com)
- CADBURY EGG COOKIES 2 1/2 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 2 teaspoon vanilla 2 eggs 1 cup milk chocolate chips 1 package mini Cadbury eggs Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, blend butter, sugars and vanilla with mixer until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well. Gradually add flour mixture until just combined. Don’t overbeat. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Place 4 to 5 mini Cadbury eggs on each cookie round. Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Source: Favorite Family Recipes blog (favfamilyrecipes.com)
- PEEPS S’MORES Graham cracker sheets Chocolate chips or Hershey Bars Peeps Break graham cracker sheet in half. Set one half aside. Sprinkle other half with chocolate chips (or a couple of small pieces of a Hershey’s bar). Top the chocolate with a Peep. Microwave for about 20 seconds (the Peep will begin to puff up). Remove from microwave and top with the reserved graham cracker half. Squish down. Eat immediately. Source: Sally’s Baking Addiction blog (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- EASY EASTER BARK 1 pound vanilla almond bark (can substitute white chocolate) 1/2 pound each pink and yellow candy melts Easter M&M’s Easter sprinkles or other candies Place piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Melt vanilla almond bark in the microwave or in a double boiler. Pour onto cookie sheet. Spread evenly, then set aside. Melt candy melts in separate bowls in the microwave. Dollop the melted candy melts randomly onto the vanilla bark. Using a butter knife, swirl the colored candy melts into the almond bark to get a marbling effect. Don’t swirl too much, or you’ll end up with orange colored bark. Sprinkle M&M’s, Easter sprinkles or other candies on top, press lightly so they will stick. Set the bark aside to cool; for faster cooling, place cookie sheet in the refrigerator. When bark is hardened, break into pieces. Makes: About 2 1/2 pounds.
Click here for the recipe for the Vodka Infused Peeps.